The town is located 1186kms to the north-east of Perth. It takes its name from Mount Newman, a peak 1055m above sea level. The mount was named in 1896 after Aubrey Woodward Newman, an explorer on a mapping expedition, who died of typhoid fever just before reaching the area.
In 1957 a veteran prospector A.S. “Stan” Hilditch, discovered a massive iron ore deposit about 15kms south-east of Mount Newman. This was named Mount Whaleback, as the hill resembled the shape of a humpback whale. Mining began at Mount Whaleback in 1967, followed by the construction of the town and railway line to the port in Port Hedland. In 1981, management of the town was sold to the Shire of East Pilbara for $1.00.
Newman is a great spot to break your journey, situated at the eastern gateway to the Pilbara, a well-equipped town with an array of facilities including shopping centres with 20 specialty shops, a bank, a post office, a range of accommodation options, a variety of restaurants, a town pool, recreational clubs and service and repair centres for all vehicle types.
Accommodation Information on local attractions Mine Tours Cafe Shop
Corner of Fortescue Ave and Newman Drive, Newman WA.